Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Taste of Saipan: Tangji


Tangji is just one amongst a number of Chinese restaurants clattered around the island of Saipan. It is small and inconspicuous beside the Mobile Gas Station across Pizza Hut and First Hawaiian Bank along Middle Road. Inside it looked like a windowless one room nursery with it's pink walls with nonuniform chairs and tables that screams at its total plainness. Though it is not necessarily the kind of place that will impress anyone, they certainly makes it up by the food they serve in an overly friendly price that ranges as low as $3.00 per order and a chili which I love that is only moderately hot just perfect for their every dish. 

Among their selection, I had taken to liking their Beef with Scrambled Eggs that is served under piles of stir fried Chinese Pechay and reaming servings of rice which I again asks without fail that the Chinese waitress knows already by heart and would guess my order for me even before I open my mouth. My boyfriend on the other hand - a person of habit such as I - would also always ask for his favorite Shrimp with Scrambled Eggs while the rest of our friends would all opt for the place's infamous Beef Broccoli. 

I myself do not tend to experiment with my orders at Chinese Restaurants for I have seen a number of friends who did and ordered something they aren't familiar with and ended up being sorry at the end. An incident such as that happened a few months back when one of my bestfriends Elle decided to try something new on the menu at Tangji without asking what it was and it turned out to be a soup that looked and tasted like plain water with salt and a dash of flour. Tophee and I at that time couldn't help but laugh and tease her as we shared portions of our regular but much beloved choices to her so she wouldn't feel half as bad.

No comments: