Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Dog Tales


Hachiko: A dog's story
This is one good movie that I have no intentions of watching. I don't want to cry and get depressed and ponder about it for days only to sniffle and remember it all over again whenever I see dogs and their dog face cuteness. No! Ah-ah!

My fiance and I saw its trailer on one of the DVDs we had rented a few weeks back and just by looking at it I know that I will love it. Love it so much that I will sure to cry buckets before the movie is probably done. I have no problem in crying on movies when you don't expect that you are going to cry but I just find it quite weird to rent a movie that you well know you're just going to be depressed about. I mean, isn't life's cruel jokes depressing already as it is that you had to go out your way and depress yourself a little more and even pay for it at that? Now I'm depressing myself with all this depressing talk! Isn't that depressing? Lols! My own sister who had proclaimed that she hasn't cried in any movies since the Titanic had admitted crying heavily on seeing this movie which made me all the more adamant not to watch it at all.

Anyway here's some of my personal dog stories that I found in my old blog and I thought I'd share here for a change since I don't have any reviews at all to give on this movie that I like but would probably never want to see...

John and the Barbeque Stick
Story originally published in my Friendster sCUTEzophrenia blog on February 10, 2008
It was Friday night and already late, our little crowd had trooped in front one of our friend's house where a booze party was going on. Our dogs that were still puppies by then were also there playing around except for the one that was named John who was being cradled like a baby by a friend while she fed him barbecue after barbecue.

John being John who doesn't know how to chew would just gobble down food one after another like some thing that was being starved for weeks on end the way he acts but that's just how he is and always will be. I remember I was by then sitting cross-legged on top of my car’s hood blabbing away with some people when suddenly the girl that was carrying John went ballistic and started shaking the puppy like crazy.

Everyone gaped as she continued to cry out for help calling to the owner over and over again to come and help while she hold out the puppy from her for all to see. The puppy's owner on the other hand had somewhat freaked out herself and instead walked away not wanting to see what’s wrong with her dog. I jumped from where I was sitting to see. The little guy turned out to have swallowed 3 chunks of chicken barbecue including the 3 inches barbecue stick he had broken off from the one the girl was holding. The pup being PG “patay gutom” (a running joke in our group) had allegedly grabbed the food from her and swallowed it before she could even react. She did try to pull it out his mouth but John’s “PG” super powers dominated.

Everyone was quiet afterwards, all eyes staring at John the puppy, expecting him to drop dead or at least heave in pain. But no, he just went on playing with the other puppies as if nothing happened and after two days… we found the broken stick lying inconspicuously inside his dog house with his dog puke that had already dried out. I say way to go John!

Now he is a huge monster of a dog that hasn't changed his eating habits one tiny bit! Well why would he? ;b

Have a heart. Have a dog heart.
Story originally published in my Friendster sCUTEzophrenia blog on February 8, 2008
I was at a store early one eveing to get some bread and I was just coming out of the door when a truck sped by like a hurricane right in front of me leaving clouds of dust and leaves at its wake. As it goes I heard a loud bang  not far away sounding as if it had hit something on the road. There was some stray dogs barking by the trees and I was afraid one of them was the casualty. Sure was, when I turned to have a better look, there was a lone black object lying conspicuously on the road. I was praying it was just some garbage bin or something until I saw it wag its tail.

I was pretty sure the poor thing was hurt badly considering how fast the damn vehicle was going. The mother*%#@ driver didn’t even break his speed for a sec. I didn’t know what to do and I just stood there staring at it. Here we were, fussing up with our pets like mad only to see someone do a stunt like that.. arggghhh!!! I went in back to the store and told the Chinese owner what transpired. 

I said, "A pickup truck hit a dog on the road just now."
Her reply totally blew me off, she said, "Oh dogs are tender and good." and she said it while smiling up at me.

WHHHATDAFUCK?
 
I stood there just staring at her, unsure of what else to do then. When I had pondered about it, the woman must have misunderstood me, after all she could barely understand English and maybe she thought I said "EAT" instead of "HIT". Whatever.

I know I could have done more but I didn't. That night I went home feeling really bad.

Hero Dog
I learned this story when I was in 6th grade and it broke my heart and wished I had never heard it. But the lesson in it was heavy and important that somehow it justified retelling the story even if it was sad and tragic.

There was farm dog whose name I could no longer remember, wasn't even sure if my then teacher had given it a name at all when he was telling us the story. This dog that we will now call "Bantay," a generic Tagalog name for dogs meaning "guard", for the sake of the story, is loyal and beloved by his owner and who Bantay loves back more than life itself. Now this farmer owns a large field and he checks it with Bantay tagging along with him day after day. The  farmer also has a wife and a baby and there was a time that the wife had to go to the city for a while and the baby was left only with the farmer and Bantay. Noon came and the farmer had to do his routine check of the farm so he told Bantay to guard the child who was sleeping on his cot while the farmer went away.


It wasn't long when the farmer suddenly heard furious barking from Bantay and he ran back quickly home to see what happened and as he approached the house, he saw Bantay ran towards him with his fangs dripping with  fresh blood. The farmer was besides himself and in his anger, he killed Bantay. When he went inside his home, he saw that the baby lay sleeping safely while a huge snake lies dead beside it. I hope you got the lesson. The end.

An Ode to Doggie
19??-2009
I saved the best story for last. Doggie was our dog of more or less 20 so and so years. He was just a mutt but he was a part of our family in so many ways than just a pet. He was there ever since I can remember and he was the one and only dog that was really THERE in every aspect of the word. He died on Christmas last year. I really don't remember anymore how we got him, I was still young then. It was just one day, he was there, a pup that somebody gave and the rest was history. I know that the typical lifespan of dogs varies widely among breeds, but for most the median longevity ranges from 10 to 13 years. We aren't sure just exactly when he was born but we know that he is more than 15 years old. He was already there when I graduated from college in 2003, he was there when I graduated from high school in 1998 and when even when I graduated in elementary in 1994 which makes 16 years total plus the odd years of my childhood.

I went away overseas in 2005 and I got to see him briefly in 2007 when I took a vacation for a week which was the last time I saw him. Months before he died, my brother took him to a vet because Doggie had trouble eating and he could barely stand anymore. Miraculously, he got well soon after that and I was happy with that news. On December though he was at his worst and we were faced with the fact that our beloved dog was old and dying and he chose Christmas among other dates to say farewell. He must have said that since we don't remember his birthday at least we won't forget his dying day. I love you Doggie.

No comments: