Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Rage of Nature

A tsunami scare raged through out the Pacific in the wake of the 8.8 magnitude earthquake that shook and devastated Chile leaving hundreds of its people dead. 

People all over the island of Saipan was alerted and a lot of them packed up and fled to higher grounds in fear leaving their homes and belongings behind.  Everyone in our four story building allegedly left during the night, all except us who had no idea what was happening until it was all over. 

It was already 12:20 in the afternoon when my fiance and I first heard about it. I had opened the door on an insistent knock from my friends telling me that there was a tsunami alert since last night after the massive earthquake in Chile. The tsunami was reportedly supposed to hit the island at 1pm and they are headed to higher grounds at San Vicente for safety. I informed my fiance about it and he looked it up in the net and he located a map of some sort that is monitoring the progress of the supposed tsunamis. For some reason, we felt safe in our building and we didn't leave. Eventually we read that the alert on Hawaii had been lifted already and I am thankful that 1:00pm came and went quiet, safe and without funfair.

I learned later on that the earthquake yesterday in Chile had matched a 1906 quake off the Ecuadorean coast as the seventh-strongest ever recorded.


No comments: