Pages

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Taste of Saipan: Diamond Restaurant

I was supposed to be writing about Mariana Resort Hotel's restaurant today but our lunch plans there with our friends was canceled up until next week so we'll just have to wait until then. My fiancé and I had lunch alone at Diamond Chinese Restaurant in Beach Road Garapan instead and according to him, that would be the first and last time he will eat there. I felt the same way but I could hardly say the same thing since that was my second time there although the first experience was a hell of a lot better than what we just had today.

The restaurant looked pretty much the same from the first time I was there more or less three years ago, only their furniture of course looked older and the surroundings had the unmistakable impression of tiredness. The place was deserted except for a group of old folks eating near the entrance and two Chinese waitresses who seems to be having a bad day for they looked like they have the world on their shoulders or maybe they just hadn’t received the memo about smiling to customers.

The table we picked had a printed menu under its plastic covering aside from the back to back table tent card on it. I asked if that was all they have and she handed me a real menu in response. I scanned their selections and ordered the one that was described as “Celery Chicken, Beef or Fish” and opted for the chicken, while my fiancé asked for their “Scrambled Eggs with Shrimp.”

I commented on my fiancé that the menu listings should be Chicken with Celery or Shrimp with Scrambled Eggs and not the other way around. Well, how wrong can I get, the menu turned out to be correct as the realization came only when the food was delivered on our table. My order was indeed all about the celery as chunks after chunks of it was served to me while the chicken was lost somewhere under it. The scrambled eggs with shrimp were the same story. In any case the taste wasn’t so bad especially when we added Tabasco and soy sauce to the egg. Their corn soup though was a little bland.

What I particularly didn’t like was when the waitress had served the food on our table. She had just set down the plate when as an afterthought, she grabbed the spoon that was already on the dish and dissected the food to see if it was indeed the chicken that I ordered. I sat there in disbelief of what she did that she had already walked away before I had realized what just happened. My fiancé and I looked at each other managing to laugh.

No comments: