Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

I would be star struck!

There had been talk (or should I say hope?) about the dashing President Obama dropping by here on Saipan en route on his first Asia-Pacific tour. Unfortunately, the Saipan Tribune newspaper quickly dispelled that news stating that the president will be visiting only Guam and not the CNMI on his way to Indonesia and Australia. Too bad!

While I was driving the other day, I heard a DJ fleetingly talking about it in the radio and he was saying how our people here are all still hoping that he would drop by and are actually planning to generate a thousand or so signatures to be sent to Washington to make it happen. Why not?

It would be so great to see Obama, the first President that I will ever see -- if ever. Well not to count Palau’s then president Tommy Remengesau, Jr. who my colleagues and I saw jogging on his neighborhood once when I was there a couple of years ago, since it was too dark and I barely made out his face from the darkness anyway. I only know that it was him because my colleague who had been a reporter there for many years said so. If Elias Camsek Chin, who I have seen there a number of times had won the Presidential election that year in 2008 against Johnson Toribiong, then that would have count. Lol!

Anyway, President Barack Obama will be in Guam on March 22 and 23 en route to Indonesia and Australia, his Asia-Pacific tour will then end on the 26th.

No comments: